| Image Credit |
Coincidentally,
I have had 4 friends who have taken this course
in Wales, and all of them have made an amazing recovery from Chronic Fatigue
and ME.
From
talking to two of them, I learned that they have been trained to stop negative
thoughts in their tracks, and self-talk positively (well, among other changes).
This gradually stops seepage of energy, depletion of serotonin, the continuous
depletion of adrenalin.
* * *
I am
enjoying Ann Voskamp’s book One Thousand
Gifts. She describes the dramatic effect that living in thanksgiving and
gratitude had on her emotional life.
I read
it and felt sad. I felt I had wasted years of my life in anger, blaming
others, worry, anxiety and negativity.
If I had
lived with thanksgiving and gratitude, how much easier would my life have been.
I think of the early years with children, when I was so angry at Roy for not
helping more, and so worried that I could not read and write more that I
worried myself into a depression.
A real,
clinical depression! My reading speed slowed down dramatically, I got into the
bad habit of re-reading paragraphs. I wrote slowly, obsessively revising,
second-guessing myself, not releasing anything that was not close to
perfection.
* * *
I saw a
doctor, took anti-depressants, which were like being reborn.
I
strongly recommend this course of action. Depression, lethargy, a slowing down
might be caused by sin—anger, unforgiveness, bitterness, anxiety, self-hatred,
self-condemnation. However, the
serotonin-raising medication raises your mental and emotional platform, so to
say, gives you the strength to embark on soul-searching, repentance, scripture
study, a thorough course of renewing the mind.
And from
these things, not the medication, one tastes the peaceable fruits of lasting
change.
· * *
Not
being a therapist, I would hesitate to pronounce on anyone else’s experience of
depression.
I
probably don’t understand my own well enough.
But I
can say this: Had I trusted God more, I would have been less anxious.
Had I
been able to surrender the outcome of my life (success or failure) to God (and
I struggle with this even today), I would have been less anxious.
Had I
been thankful for what Roy did do to help, instead of being angry about what he
did not do, I would have been less angry, slept better, gained less weight, had
more mental peace to write.
Had I surrendered
myself to God’s will and been able to accept time and seasons, instead of
freaking out that I wasn’t able to read and write when my children were little
(and my only ambition was to write) I would not have worn and depleted myself
with worry and anxiety, and striving against the tide.
* * *
But you
know what, I am going to thank God even for the years the locusts have eaten.
They
have made the truths of living in thankfulness more precious to me.
They
have taught me the important of positive thinking in the sense of trust,
surrender, and gratitude.
I have
learned the important of trusting God, not myself, or any human “saviour.”
· * *
Take and
redeem, Lord, even the years I have wasted in sinful attitudes (even though I was a Christian at the time).
Just as
you redeemed Joseph’s boastfulness by taking him to Egypt, ensuring he saved
many lives.
Just as
you redeemed Jacob’s restless scheming by breaking his hip in that midnight
wrestling match, teaching him that blessing comes from you alone (as I too have
learned).
Just as
you redeemed Moses’ hot temper, ensuring that lead him to the desert, where he
saw the bush which burned and was not consumed.
Just as
you redeemed David’s lust, by bringing out of that partnership one of the
wisest men who ever lived.
· * *
·
Take the
life I have lived, Lord. Redeem it.
Bring
forth beauty from ashes,
joy
instead of mourning,
a
garment of praise, instead of a spirit of despair.
Thank you so much for your honesty and openness, Anita. There is so much where I can see myself (anger, fatigue...). Spent the whole way back from school to thank God for everything I could think of. Best start to the day for a long time!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful. Thank you for sharing. "Had I trusted God more, I would have been less anxious." This is so true! It's a truth I hope I don't stumble past. I was looking at Churchill quotes today (it's the anniversary of his death), and he had this one on truth that I loved:
ReplyDelete"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
~be blessed today! Jen
Thanks German Teacher, and welcome to my blog.
ReplyDelete@Jen, thanks for the Churchill quote. I see some scrumptious posts up on your blog, which I will look forward to savouring later this evening:-)